*

*

Friday, October 19, 2012

Movie Night - Crock Pot Night

Something simple was on the menu Thursday night. This is one of my standby crock pot recipes that is so delicious and always so easy. Originally, I got my recipe from Better Homes and Gardens cookbook in the 70's. Since then I have seen it in many variations. It is that kind of a recipe. You can change it up in so many different ways. And, this time, that is what I did.
First off, I used Turkey Polska Kielbasa Sausage (Hillshire Farms) instead of Polish Sausage. I don't use much turkey but I am trying to keep the calorie count down. Especially, since we eat out a lot! And, you know most restaurant food is NOT low calorie.  
Even though the recipe does not call for browning the sausage, I thought it might give a little more flavor if it is browned. And, as long as I was at it, I thought why not toss the onion into the pan. The recipe also includes cream of celery soup, canned sauerkraut and brown sugar. In addition, I added some caraway seed, and celery  (just because I had it in the refrigerator) which I would have added to the browning pan along with the onion, if I had thought of it at the beginning.
Remember, this is a crock pot recipe and you can get away with almost anything when it comes to technique!
 
When I was combining all the ingredients in the crock pot, I thought why not add some apple. So, I tossed in some sliced apple, mixed it some more and turned the temperature to high and put the lid on the crock pot. And, it was only 1:30 PM. Later, shredded Monterey Jack cheese was added just prior to serving. 
 And, while dinner was cooking, to the movie we went.
 
ARGO chronicles the life-or-death covert operation to rescue six Americans during the Iran Hostage Crisis in 1979 and 1980. It was an interesting movie that held a person's attention. Ben Affleck's performance was impressive.
Dinner was very good! And, the use of turkey worked out great. MSM (My Special Man) enjoyed it and does not have any problems with reduced calorie ingredients. Luckily, he is a person who can eat anything and everything he wants and not gain weight or alter any of his normal laboratory tests ordered routinely by his doctor. I am so envious - really - I am!

*Did you notice, my friend has regained his moniker - - -  MSM! We are so happy and plan on keeping it that way!

1 comment:

Anita in San Diego said...

So happy to hear everything is going well in your life. I admit I was a bit concerned about the silence! By the way, I love my crockpot and use it at least once a week for the preparation of our evening meal. I think I will try your recipe very soon.