*

*

Monday, July 30, 2012

Food Prep For Weekend Dinner

I have enjoyed getting in the kitchen again after waiting for my arm to heal a little more. On Sunday evening my friend was preparing some Turf and Surf (filet mignon and lobster) for dinner for his son and daughter-in-law at his house. Along with the beef and seafood he served baked potatoes with all the toppings and asparagus. My contribution to the meal was summer Gazpacho and Blueberry Crisp with Ice Cream. Everything turned out great and tasted fantastic!


The recipe that I used for the Gazpacho is from The Pioneer Woman Cooks. I changed it a little based on what vegetables I had available to me. Also, I used Clamato Juice instead of Tomato Juice and I added about 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice and a tablespoon of Worcestershire Sauce.The Clamato Juice was my choice because I remember using it in Gazpacho way back in the 60's when I first made Gazpacho. I will definitely use this recipe as a starting point when I prepare it in the future.

We went shopping for the veggies at our local organic foods store The Outer Aisle. A lot of the produce comes directly from the fields. It is so - so fresh.





The recipe I used for the Blueberry Crisp is from  Foodnetwork.  And, I followed it exactly as printed. It is such a quick and easy recipe. Oh, so good. 





It was a very hot and busy day. The weather was in the high 90'. We attended church in the morning and then attended a Program on Central America presented by a professor and researcher with non-profit organizations. He shared his insight about how we as US citizens make assumptions about members of other countries based on misinformation we receive from our parents, our teachers, our textbooks and many media outlets. He believes that if we can recognize those biases we can change them and possibly affect the way other countries feel about us.

No comments: