*

*

Sunday, July 22, 2012

So Many Things To Blog About

But, first let me tell you it is very hot here in Northern California. It is over 100 degrees today. I went to church this morning and enjoyed it very much. Then the remainder of the day I spent in the high country (highest elevation 8700+ feet) enjoying beautiful lakes, scenery and clear blue skies with billowy clouds. It was nice to be in an area that wasn't quite so hot!







It was so relaxing - especially after getting to bed late last night. A few days ago a friend called to ask if I would like to join her and some women friends and attend an Outdoor Theater at one of the local Wineries  to see the Shakespearean play, The Tempest. Even though it probably is my least favorite play by Shakespeare, I felt eager to join them.

Several years ago I attended a lot of plays at the same outdoor theater and I always found it very enjoyable. Even though the play doesn't start until 8 PM we go about 6:30 PM with food and wine for our dinner. There are terraced lawns for lawn chairs and room to spread blankets.


And, since my friend had offered me an extra ticket, I thought it would be nice if I would bring the food for the four of us traveling in the same car. I haven't done much in the kitchen since injuring my arm (more on that later - "I'm doing good") and I felt like fussing around in the kitchen. So, I spent yesterday afternoon doing a lot of chop, chop, chopping.

My little menu was Apple Tuna Salad on Croissant Rolls, Fruit Salad with a splash of Lemon Juice, Honey and then freshly grated Nutmeg on the top. I also took a bowl of Mixed Nuts.

Since the food was quite filling along with the wine that was brought by one of the others, we waited until intermission for the dessert, which was Blueberry Crisp with Vanilla Ice Cream. 

I am sorry, but I didn't take photos because I was just too, too busy. But, I would like to tell you more about the dessert. I guess I was "feeling a little creative".  How was I going to work with Ice Cream when it was 95 degrees outside?  OK, I put some Blueberry Crisp in the bottom of a small Rubbermaid Take-Along plastic container. Then I took the top off of a Haagen Dazs single serving (3.6 oz.) Vanilla Ice Crean cup and placed it up-side-down on the crisp and then screwed the top on. I placed the four containers in a small insulated bag with some ice packs.

When it was time for dessert, I just unscrewed the lid and lifted the cup up and off of the ice cream that had melted just enough for it to be removed easily.  It worked so good and the Ice Cream and Crisp tasted so good on the very warm evening!

As I said, I have been busy! Yesterday, at noon I attended Murphys Homecoming Celebration in the Murphys Park. Free lunch was served for anyone 70 years old and older if they have lived in this area for ten years or more. It was a lot of fun. For the past 35 years, the Community Club has sponsored the event. There also was a Little Yellow Duck Race in the creek at the park as a fund raiser for the Animal Humane Society. 

I think I am going to sleep late in the morning. 

           

No comments: